Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction is an 8-week course, originally developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn at the University of Massachusetts Medical School, designed to help participants discover and utilize their own inner resources for bringing balance, health, and peace of mind to their lives.
Through group and individual practices, discussions, and presentations, participants learn ways to cultivate mindfulness so that they can meet the challenges of life (including stress, pain, and illness) with greater ease and equally optimize their performance at work.
Over the past 30 years, tens of thousands of people all over the world have taken this course. It has been widely researched and is at the cutting edge of integrative and preventative medicine. Some of the benefits past participants have reported are:
- A greater capacity to cope with short and long term stressors
- More energy and enthusiasm for life
- A lasting decrease in psychological symptoms such as stress, anxiety, depression, and irritability
- A lasting decrease in negative thinking patterns
- A lasting decrease in physical symptoms in a range of chronic health problems
The mindfulness programs that Mindful Brain delivers are based on the MBSR program offered by the Center for Mindfulness at the University of Massachusetts, USA and recognized by the Swiss Mindfulness Association. For an overview of the major research findings about these programs, please follow this link to the CFM website.